Painful anal skin tag engorged with blood, soreness, bleeding, taking Movocol to loosen stools, Rectogesic, Xylocaine ineffective

I have an anal skin tag which has become engorged with blood and is very painful. I am taking Movocol to loosen the stools but I am still bleeding and very sore in that area. What can be done for me?
I am 56yr old female living in Canberra Australia. I have been given Rectogesic ointment and Xylocaine ointment but neither of these are helping now
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

Based on your description, it seems that you may be experiencing from hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are swellings of veins in the area of the anus which can become sometimes painful and itchy. There can sometimes be a stinging sensation especially during bowel movements.

The treatment of hemorrhoids includes a topical medication and possibly a suppository. I usually recommend a topical medication such as Preparation H. There are many different generic varieties of this medication. The main active ingredient is hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone serves to decrease inflammation and help with the itching. You can use this along with rectogesic ointment that you are using. In addition I usually recommend that patients with persistent symptoms use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.

Apart from the medications, twice daily sitbaths in a warm bathtub for 20 minutes is also extremely useful in reducing the symptoms. The warm water will sooth the area and help shrink the swollen tissue.

If incase the symptoms persists then you need to consult your surgeon and plan for surgical management.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.