Painful anal projection. Should I be concerned?

i am XXXXXXX from india.i am suffering from a problem......i have a small projection in my anus n its painful.can u suggest me which departnment i have 2 consult n what the solution 4 this this a serious disease?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 minutes later

This anal projection can be an external hemorrhoid.

Symptoms of external hemorrhoids may include painful swelling or a hard lump around the anus which may itch. For the diagnosis, it is best to consult a general surgeon and get it examined by physical examination or by anoscopy.

First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated.

1)     You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Just make sure to increase your fluid intake when you increase your fiber in the diet.

2)     You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

3)     However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy. Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used.

It is not a serious disease and with right treatment can be cured.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.