Ask a Urologist   »  

Pain while urinating, semen in urine. What is wrong?

hello. i had pain while urinating and looked down to find a decent amount of semen in my urine. Whats wrong with me? I am 99% sure it was semen.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.

Sphincter mechanism at bladder neck and in urethra normally manages to keep semen and urine separate.

One of the important cause of semen mixing with urine is retrograde ejaculation, that is instead of ejaculating outside through urethra the semen goes back into urinary bladder as urinary bladder sphincter is unable to close during ejaculation. After that when you urinate both urine and semen comes out.

Ideal next step would be to see a urologist for this.If the problem persists then this can be cause of infertility.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: Pain while urinating, semen in urine. What is wrong? 12 hours later
I tried anal stimulation the day before, do you think that could have caused the problem with my sphincter?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 27 minutes later
Actually that should not cause this.I think you can wait for this to repeat and if it happens again then you will have to see your doctor.

Follow-up: Pain while urinating, semen in urine. What is wrong? 35 minutes later
Okay thank you for the information. I hope it doesn't happen again to me.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 minutes later
You are welcome.Regards.