Pain while swallowing solids / fluids or even saliva, hurts while belching, taking Nexium, Garapentin, Levethroyxn, Advair, Nasonex, have hypothyroid, ADHD

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have a great deal of pain while swallowing as well difficulty getting solids and fluids even saliva some times to go down. It even hurts when I try to belch. I am 52, have a messed up back, am Hypothyroid, ADHD, No Gall Bladder, Arthritis, take Nexium, Garapentin, Adderrall, Posaic, Tramadol, XXXXXXX Flexerill, Levethroyxn, XYZal, Advair, Nasonex. I am a freshman in college, my mother passed away 28 days ago, and I have hade this problem that has gotten progresively worse for at least a few years just nowhere near this bad.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Pain during swallowing for many years could be due to an ulcer over the base of the tongue or a candid infection (also called as Oral thrush).

A direct examination is mandatory for diagnosis. Hence, you require a thorough examination of the throat by an apt ENT specialist followed by telescopic laryngoscopy.

The treatment depends on the cause. If organic causes are ruled out then psychological factors need to be considered.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, as it improves the blood circulation and reduces the inflammation. Do consult your ENT specialist for evaluation and specific treatment.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.