Pain while passing urine after stent placement in kidney. Is this a side effect?

hi,i have just had a stent fitted to my left side kidney .i also had a stone removed from the tube where stent is fitted.i also have stone in left kidney which they are lasering in 4 weeks.where i am experiancing pain passing water due to the procedure being performed through my concern is the pain i am in passing water in my side where the stent is fitted,so bad this morning i nearly passed out,like a savere ache,is this normal
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and will try my best to address your concerns.
The main complications with ureteral stents are dislocation, infection and blockage by encrustation.
Other complications can include increased urgency and frequency of urination, blood in the urine, leakage of urine, pain in the kidney, bladder, or groin, and pain in the kidneys during, and for a short time after urination.These effects are generally temporary and disappear with the removal of the stent.
You may take some pain killer for your pain.
You must consult your doctor immediately
If the pain is constant and unbearable
If you develop symptoms of like raised temperature,pain in passing urine and feeling unwell
If the stent comes out
If you notice a significant change in the amount of blood in urine

Don't worry.Your symptoms shall gradually reduce.
Take at least 2 litters of water which will keep flushing your kidneys.
Stents don't cause any disruption to your daily normal life except some discomfort or occasional bleeding.
However you may feel more tired with the stent in place.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck