Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain while opening the mouth after an injury to jaw. No problem in talking. Is there a dislocation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
left jawrecently while at a party I was jumped by 4 strangers and, when it happened got stored in the face.... I can talk fine and my teeth align straight but it's been a week and I can't open my mouth more than enough to get a tooth brush in without some pain... unless I have been open and choosing it for a while like miday I can get it open more than any other time... but at night and morning the left muscle seems to tense up.... would I know if it were dislocated??? It has been about 9 or 10 days.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later

It seems that you have injured your jaw after a blunt trauma. Since you are able to open your mouth slightly, a dislocation is not likely. It can be a minor fracture with displacement or a x-ray and a MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area.

I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.

Meanwhile –

1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Have a semi solid diet which does not need any chewing movements.
3. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain while opening the mouth after an injury to jaw. No problem in talking. Is there a dislocation? 7 hours later
Would I be OK of I just take some otc pain killers and anti inflammatory medication and let it heal... I really don't have money to get xrays and mri just to be told let it rest for 3 weeks and you'll be fine lol.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can take OTC pain killers and anti inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen. If the pain subsides after taking pain killers then fracture is unlikely and it is more likely to be a soft tissue injury. If there is no relief after taking pain killers for 3-4 days then further investigations are needed to find out the extent of injury.
Hope my answer is helpful.