Pain when moving up and down. X-ray said ostoarthritis. Need more testing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I feel pain in my knee area when i use stairs and getting up and down. Otherwise there is no pain as such. I consulted a orthopectic and he without even toching me or x-ray told me that I have ostoarthritis. Is it right to say like this without any checkup or should I need testing before final diagonosis? My age is 33 height 189 cm and weight is around 100 kg
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later

The symptoms you mentioned sound like some XXXXXXX derangement of the knee joint. The possibilities are either joint cartilage wear and tear, meniscus tear, ligament sprain or synovium related. To call it osteoarthritis without thorough examination and supported radiological evidence is naive. I believe your orthopaedician must be a very experienced person to conclude that in first instance.

Nevertheless In my opinion you should consult another doctor soon. Till then I shall help you prevent the symptoms from worsening. The set of rules are-
1. Avoid stairs as much as possible,
2. Do not sit cross leged,
3. Avoid sitting in one position for long time,
4. Use commode instead of Indian type lavatory,
5. Do not massage or manipulate the knee joint till the pain subsides.

You may take the anti inflammatory medicines your doctor prescribes for few days. This helps in reducing the inflammation and in turn reduces pain. At your age it is unlikely to have arthritis but not impossible. So rule out other conditions like swelling, redness, locking, instability or abnormal sounds which might suggest otherwise.

Another important aspect is that you need to reduce your weight, and fast. That could be the prime reason for your knee problems. In any case do not hesitate if your doctor tells you to get an mri done, since that is the gold standard in knee investigations in early stages.

I hope this helps you deal with the situation. If you need more help, I'm available for follow up.
Good luck.