Pain, weakness, tingling radiating down legs. What should I do to avoid sever relapse?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I trust you to still have access to my other queries and answers. Yesterday after sitting and or standing for a prolonged time at office desk. The pain, weakness,tingling etc radiating down my legs was so severe I was afraid to be left alone. Is this still normal for the diagnosis I have given to you previously. It is some what relieved overnight but feels like it is building up again quickly. What exercises etc should I do today to prevent such a sever relapse. I do see a phsyio on Mon and my GP on Tues. should I seek help before that.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
The symptoms you have are likely to be related to degenerative disc disease with a mild nerve root irritation or compression.
There is no need to panic. You can wait till Tuesday for a detailed evaluation and physical therapy.
Right now, you need to do a bed rest, do a hot fomentation in the lower spine. Applying a local analgesic gel will also be helpful.
Do start with methylcobalamin supplements for relief.
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting or standing.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.