Pain under the armpit after an episode of tonsillitis. Took vicodin, mortin and tylenol. Safe remedy?

I have pain under my right pec. Almost directly under my arm pit. It is tender to the touch. I have had it for 4days. 8 days ago I had my tonsils out. Took Vicodin for 5 days and Motrin in between each Vicodin. Now taking Motrin and Tylenol.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Pain under the armpit after an episode of tonsillitis indicates lymph node swelling due to the same infection causing inflammation in the tonsils.

Most often viral infections do present this way and subside on their own within a week or two.

The other possibility is a muscle sprain unrelated to the tonsillitis you have.

In both the above possibilities anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen and paracetamol will help. Do continue the Motrin and Tylenol for few more days, these will reduce the inflammation and thus pain.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Pain under the armpit after an episode of tonsillitis. Took vicodin, mortin and tylenol. Safe remedy? 1 hour later
Have had multiple infections and had my throats lanced, thus the reasons for the removal of my tonsils. After the removal and prior to, have been on antibitoics.
I have been on large doses of anti-inflamaory drugs.

Also I have been in bed for days. No,way to stress a muscle.Pain is under right breast (pec), I do not believe there is a lymph node there
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later

If the pain you mentioned is in the chest wall rather than deep inside the chest under the right breast, the chances of the pain being due to lymph node involvement are more. Also multiple infections with throat involvement indicate viral etiology and lymph nodes are commonly involved in viral infections.
XXXXXXX mammary and lower level axillary lymph nodes are those which could be involved.

The above link will provide you the image showing the lymph nodes in the anterior chest wall. Immune reaction in the lymph nodes can make them tender and sensitive along with tenderness in some tissue surrounding them.

Inadequate exercise in muscles when bed ridden for hours can also lead to pain in the muscles, this so happens due to accumulation of waste products of metabolism. The pain here may not be severe.

Hope, I cleared your doubts.

Wish you good health.