Pain under shoulder blades and numbness in arm. Cervical xray and MRI normal. What to do?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am suffering from pain under both the shoulder blades (more severe in the right shoulder), neck pain, numbness of the right arm. I also experience bouts of giddiness. The cervical xray and MRI reports seem to be normal. Are there any other tests that need to be done? What should I do next?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 21 hours later
Hai,

Thanks for writing in,

Your complaints are suggestive of Cervical Spondylosis. Since Xray and MRI seems to be near normal, it would be advisable to continue with your current medications for a week.

I see that you are already taking muscle-relaxant/pain killers along with vertin (for giddiness) and calcium-VitD3 supplements.

Physiotherapy in the form of Interferential therapy to neck and shoulder will also help in reducing your pain. Avoid having pillows too.

You should be feeling better within 10 days. If your giddiness gets worse or numbness in right arm increases, its better to get yourself re-examined by your doctor. Based on the findings you might need an ENT examination or good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pain under shoulder blades and numbness in arm. Cervical xray and MRI normal. What to do? 27 minutes later
Dear Dr. Panneer,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been taking Zerodol for 3 weeks and under going Physiotherapy (IFT, Diathermy, Ultrasound and Traction) for 2 weeks.

The severity of pain has not reduced. I have acute pain at a specific point near the right shoulder blade.

My Doctor also suggested a steroid injection at the tender point near the right shoulder blade. I am not sure steroid injections are healthy. Could you guide me on this?

Do you think I should visit a Cervical Spine specialist / ENT specialist or get nerve conduction study done at this point?

Thanks and Regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 25 minutes later
Seems you have developed myofascial knot near right shoulder blade due to chronic muscle spasm. In cases resistant to NSAID's & physiotherapy, local steroid injection is the treatment of choice. Sometimes even dry needling at the site will also help. Discuss with your doctor.

weakness in your right arm is getting worsened. ENT opinion has to be sought only if giddiness is persistent.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pain under shoulder blades and numbness in arm. Cervical xray and MRI normal. What to do? 3 hours later
Thank you very much Doctor! Appreciate your quick response

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later
Wish you a speedy recovery.