Pain under rib cage, numbness and tingling in hand. Found elevated cholesterol level. What's wrong?

General Surgeon
Liver issues I think... High liver enzymes but they did go down and are close to normal range at this point, right side under rib cage throbbing, itchy on and off and cholesterol a bit elevated. I also have had numbness and tingling in my hands for mths.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later

You did not mention the reason for undergoing Liver function tests.

As per your query, the liver enzyme values, which were high, came to normal. It is a good sign.

Pain under rib cage in right side may be due to Liver problem.

Mild increase in Cholesterol levels is not of much concern.

Tingling and numbness in your hands may be due to Vitamin B complex deficiency.

If you do not mind, please write the specific values of the test report. You may also upload the report on the right side of this query page by yourself.

If you let me know the exact values of your test, I would suggest you specifically.

You may also require an ultrasound scan of the abdomen.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Pain under rib cage, numbness and tingling in hand. Found elevated cholesterol level. What's wrong? 49 minutes later
Originally went to the ER do to right side under the rib cage pain and light stools and just feeling overall ill. That is when they did a liver panel and found them to be elevated, I had a repeat of tests a week or two later and they were going back to normal. My ast was 27 and my alt was 42. My total cholesterol was 190, ldl 127 and hdl 50. They also checked me for a tingling and numbness when I sleep at night but that is usually the only time I experience it, My right side pain under the ribs comes and goes but is never severe, just more of a throb or knawing pain. My joints ache as well on and off and I get headaches often. I never had problems in my past with headaches. I have had an ultra sound of my liver and gallbladder but they were normal. They also did a pancreas panel and it was normal as well. I do not have Hepititis either. I get cold as well and sometimes my fingers feel swollen. I just dont feel right and the right side under rib pain has been going on for about two mths now on and off. They have checked me for lupus and other auto immune diseases and those tests were normal as well. What about MS? Could that be a possibility? I forgot to mention I bruise easily as well.
I also do not have an iron deficiency. I did notice on my blood work the my MCH was high (32.1). My MCH and my MCHC always seem to be high or low for the last year now. Could other deficiencies cause these symptoms? My stools are a lot better in color but can sometimes go back and forth from brownish or lighter. It's frustrating cause I know there is something wrong and overall I dont feel to good but nothing has come up so far. Is there other things the Doctor can test for or procedures that may be benefical in diagnosing the issue? What about Ulcers?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 10 hours later

As per your query, your liver is normal.

Tingling and numbness that is occurring during night may be due to pressure during sleep.

Your right side pain under the ribs may be of musculoskeletal in origin. You can try oral muscle relaxants.

You have undergone many tests. All seem to be normal.

Tension is the commonest type of headache. If you are having tensions regarding your health, jobs etc., please try to reduce them with practices like Meditation, yoga.

Your complaint does not fit into MCH level is 26-33 pico grams of haemoglobin per red blood cell. If your MCH is 32.1 picograms, it comes under normal level. If MCH level is 34, then it is considered too high.

The color of the stool depends on the food you take.

As you have undergone many tests until now, please do not go for further tests for the time being.

Please take a Capsule, which contains Multivitamins, Antioxidants, and Essential minerals daily, and observe for a few days.

You will definitely feel the difference.

Wish you good health.