Pain under rib cage, feel the need to vomit or pass stools. Should I go to ER?

Question
Hi I just woke with a sharp pain under my right rib cage, i feel like I may need to vomit or poop but nothing is coming out either way.... is this something that can wait or should I go to the er
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 45 minutes later

Pain under the right rib cage usually indicates gall bladder pathology.

If the pain is intermittent and not subsiding even with a dose of antispasmodics , then there would be need for a Ultrasound scan to evaluate the gall bladder and bile ducts health.

Such conditions should be dealt on emergency basis only , ER is the better option.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.