Pain, swelling bellow knuckle in middle finger. What could have caused this?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I have pain and a little swelling below my knuckle on my middle finger. I can still move it but it painful. What could cause this
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 33 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

The presence of pain, swelling and painful movements below the knuckle suggests an inflammatory process.

Is there any history of trauma?
If yes there could be a fracture of the middle phalanyx of the middle finger.

The other possibility can be infection/ inflammation of the joint cavity i.e. joint formed between the two phalanges of the middle finger. This inflammtion can lead to effusion in the joint.

A lateral and AP view of the middle finger is required.
Consult your orthopediatician for clinical examination, investigation and management.

If you have more queries, I will glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Pain, swelling bellow knuckle in middle finger. What could have caused this? 9 hours later
I don't remember having any trauma too it but it looks crooked. If I extend the finger straight it feels like the pressure is being taken off. Anything I can do at home with out having an x XXXXXXX done?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 11 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

Since, there is a history of trauma, a fracture or rupture of the tendon has to be ruled out.
A X-ray is mandatory.
Home remedies won't help here.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal