Pain, stiffness in neck, stiffness in back, pinching sensation near spinal chord, dizziness following Shirshasana. Is it due to Shirshasan?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Three weeks ago I did Shirshasana, and these symptoms are there one day after that, though I am not sure if its because of that. I have pain in neck along with stiffness for three weeks now. Also, there is siffness in upper back as well. Also, I feel a pinching pain in two points near spinal chord one on neck, and one on back. I also feel dizzy sometimes. I also feel a sharp pain at some points on my head behind ears. I have had 4 physiotherapy sessions after consultaion with Ortho. He did not ask me to do X-Ray or MRI as he said I don't have symptoms for that. But, this pain and stffness is really bothering. Please suggest.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
It seems that you have suffered a muscle sprain of the neck muscles while doing Sheershasana.
Due to the muscle sprain and stiffness, there are some nerve related symptoms like dizziness.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful. You can get muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Pain, stiffness in neck, stiffness in back, pinching sensation near spinal chord, dizziness following Shirshasana. Is it due to Shirshasan? 5 hours later
So,
Does it point to any other serious problem?
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If rest, hot fomentation and muscle relaxants do not relieve the pain and discomfort in next one week then it is best to consult an orthopedician for physical examination and MRI scan.
Any serious issue is not likely from your description.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.