Pain sometimes in lower part of left chest with itching whenever I smoke. What is the problem ?

I have pain sometimes in the lower part of the left chest and itching in the chest sometimes, the days when I dont smoke I generally dont have this probles. Also, my lest tonsil pains if I somke more than 4 cigarates a day, when ever I dont smoke this problem is not there, shall go for chest xray to find out what is the problem.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 52 minutes later

The pain in the lower part of chest and tonsils and itching in the chest can be due to smoking or due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Smoking increases the heart rate, blood pressure and work load upon the heart.

If there is pre-existing coronary artery disease, but with adequate blood flow at rest, the increased work produced by smoking, as well as the increase in concentration of carbon monoxide carried by the blood in place of oxygen, may be enough to produce chest pain.

You need to get an X-ray or CT chest done to rule out any lung causes related to smoking.

Also try the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Stop smoking as it is bad for the lungs and heart.

2)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

3)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

4)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

5)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Pain sometimes in lower part of left chest with itching whenever I smoke. What is the problem ? 2 hours later
Thank You so much for your consultation Dr. XXXXXXX will follow the suggesstions thats is mentioned by you and the check ups that is mentioned, and will get back to you with the progress as soon as possible. Wish you a wonderful day ahead.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Do update us regarding the progress of your health and send us your medical queries so that we can answer them.

Kind regards.