Pain on the right side while urinating. History of kidney stones. How can I prevent recurring kidney stones?

I have pain on my right side when I urinate, just above my hip bone and around in my back. I figure its kidney stones again only the last attack was acute pain about 8 years ago. No problems since then. Assuming its kidney stones, is there anything I can do to flush them out so they don't escalate to a full blown attack? I am a 44 year old female in case that matters.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 minutes later

These symptoms are suggestive of kidney stones. Kidney stones are of four types: calcium oxalate stones, struvite stones, uric acid stones or cystine stones.

Potassium citrate is used for the treatment of stones. I would suggest you to get an evaluation done from a urologist to determine the type of stone.

Treatment modes include Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithrotripsy (ESWL), ureteroscopic stone removal and percutaneoud nephrolithotomy but it depends on the size of the stone.

If the size of the stone is small, it’s usually treated with ESWL in which shock waves are given from outside and stone breaks into small pieces. On the other hand, if the stone is quite big, then surgical removal of the stone is a better option.

Please drink lots of water for it does facilitate at least in preventing the formation of new stones. Drinking lots of water helps to flush away the substances that form stones in the kidneys. Also indulge in exercises like skipping and trampolining which might help in flushing out the small stones.

Also limit your coffee, tea, and cola to 1 or 2 cups a day and depending on the type of stone, get a diet chart prescribed. If you have a uric acid stone, you should eat less meat and if they are calcium oxalate you may need to limit foods that are high in oxalate. These foods include rhubarb, beets, spinach, and chocolate.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.