Pain on the left side of the chest from the rib side. Elevated blood pressure

Question
My 53 year old wife blood pressure is 155/101 normally she is well under the national average. She is also complaining of extreme pain on the left side of her heart more from the rib side.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 22 minutes later
Hello.

As I understand it, your wife's blood pressure is 155/101 and she is complaining of pain on the left side of her chest.

I would like to know few more things which will help me in suggesting you better. So, Do not mind to answer it.

1. Is she a known hypertensive on medication?

2. Has she had an EKG (Electrocardiogram) in the recent past?

3. Is the pain constant or related to breathing or exertion?

4. Does the pain increase when the chest is pressed?

Awaiting answers to these questions to provide you more specific suggestions. Meanwhile wishing her speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pain on the left side of the chest from the rib side. Elevated blood pressure 19 minutes later
The pain is more on the upper left side chest. The answer to all your question is no.

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 54 minutes later

Thanks for following up.

I think the pain/discomfort is due to the blood pressure which has recently gone up.

You need to see your doctor for management and an electrocardiogram to rule out a minor attack.

Please reply with any further queries that you may have. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pain on the left side of the chest from the rib side. Elevated blood pressure 34 minutes later
After discussing the symptoms in more detail the pain and discomfort is more in the upper left side. There is no shortness of breath or heart pain.

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 4 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
The chest pain could be due to the high blood pressure or heart or acidity.
You can take Tablet TUMS 1 tablet twice a day for 2 days and get your blood pressure checked again.
I would also still recommend that you get an electrocardiogram done.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Please revert back if needed.
Regards.