Pain on swallowing, short episodes, burning sensation in throat, nausea. On prilosec medication. Causes?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I sometimes have a very slight pain when swallowing. It happens several seconds after I actually swallow and appears to be more stomach. The pain feels like a muscle and only lasts a brief second which makes it difficult to know the exact location which appears to be about 2-3 inches left of center just below the rib cage. As mentioned the pain is very minimal and I have no problem eating or swallowing. I've had it off and on for six weeks. I went to my internist after two weeks and he prescribed prilosec which worked for a while but the pain came back two weeks later. I normally get the pain with solid foods but not always. I can also get it sometimes with water if I try to drink is really fast. I can eat one meal with no sensation and the next it will bother me a bit. I don't get a lot of heartburn but lately I've had some burning in the throat and occassional slight nausea. I have no other symptoms or pain.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 8 hours later

From the description of symptoms it appears to be motility issue associated with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). You need to undergo endoscopy to ascertain the diagnosis in order for optimum treatment to be initiated.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Pain on swallowing, short episodes, burning sensation in throat, nausea. On prilosec medication. Causes? 5 days later
My internist called and said my serum h. Pylori test was positive. He started me on on the triple therapy. Does the test result indicate that perhaps I have peptic ulcer disease and gastritis? My internist scheduled an edoscopy but now says I can wait until after I finish treatment to see if this takes care of the problem. I do get some stomach pain and dyspepsia when my stomach is empty and in the middle of the night. I feel better after I eat. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

The symptoms described by you point towards chronic duodenal ulcer. The confirmatory test for which is upper GI (Gastrointestinal) endoscopy. Once the diagnosis is confirmed and malignancy ruled out, one can safely start conservative line of treatment and follow the response to treatment. Triple therapy is usually initiated after failure of basic conservative therapy.

Basic conservative therapy usually comprises of

1. Modification of dietary habits
2. Avoidance of spicy foods
3. Avoidance of alcohol
4. Proton pump inhibitors
5. Cytoprotective or coating agents