Pain on right side towards back, spreading pain, have wear and tear arthritis in lower back. Could it be coming from that?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have a dull ache/pain on my right side towards my back. it seems to be getting worse and the area is spreading. i have 'wear and tear arthritis in my lower back. could it be coming from that? at the moment it is stopping me from going to sleep.
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain on the lower right side of the back might be due to-
1. Lumbar muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibres.
2. Aggravation of arthritic changes of spine.
3. Intra- abdominal conditions like renal infections, calculi, cholecystitis, etc.
4. Lumbar disc herniation, sciatica, etc.
Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.