Pain on right part of body. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Pain in right part of the body
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The tenderness of the lower right side of your back with pain in the leg can be due to-
1. Lumbar muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibres.
2. Infections like paraspinal abscess.
3. Intra- abdominal conditions like renal infections, calculi, etc.
4. Lumbar disc herniation, sciatica, etc.
Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.
I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness.
After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and muscle relaxants ( thiocolchicoside) which should give you relief. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain. You can discuss about this with your Gym instructor.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.