Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain on right cheekbone after doing root canal. What is wrong?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I had root canal 10 days ago on tooth number 29. Now I'm experiencing pain on my right cheekbone and giving me headache.. The tooth is not hurting though. But I never felt this pain before until the procedure was done. I was place on antibiotic .. But it never helped . What is wrong ?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
pain killer with muscle relaxant will help

Detailed Answer:

Many a times after a long dental procedure where you have to keep your jaw open for a long time, the muscles get stretched and the patient develops pain in jaws and cheek. Sometimes, there is a lingering pain in cheek and the surrounding tissues of the site where the local anesthetic that is the Injection was placed for a couple of days.
Some antibiotics may cause headache as a side effect which should neutralize with the administration of a mild pain killer with a muscle relaxant. Still, if the pain persists, then I would recommend that you visit your dentist again and get yourself checked. Hope this helps.