Pain on raising the arms. CT scan of the chest showing sub centimeter axillary and mediastinal lymph nodes. What does it mean?

Question
I had a CT Scan of the Chest and it showed 2-3mm nodles along with a few subcentimeter axillary and mediastinal lymp nodes...can you explain what the subcentimeter axillary and mediastinal lymp nodes mean...I have been experiencing lots of pain on raising or twisting both my arms.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 25 minutes later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question.

I believe that these are fairly standard chest CT scan results and that you have nothing to worry about.

Sub-centimeter means that the lymph nodes are less that one centimeter in diameter. Axillary means that they are in your arm pit. Mediastinal means that they are in the structure that runs down the centre of your chest behind your lungs.

I do not think that the pain you experience on raising or twisting your arms is in any way related to your CT scan findings. This maybe just a touch of arthritis.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have additional concerns.

I hope you accept this answer and that you remain in good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pain on raising the arms. CT scan of the chest showing sub centimeter axillary and mediastinal lymph nodes. What does it mean? 1 hour later
I also had a mamogram and ultrasound in 12/11...they found two small subcentimeter nodules in the left breast, and the assissmet was Bi-RADS Category 3. The Ultra sound found 2 small hypoechoic nodules with well-defined borders and some increased through transmission...which they believe may be cysts. Could that be the same 2 modules that the CT Scan is referring to? If so, would these normally cause pain?

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 18 hours later
Thanks for your follow up questions.

I believe that your findings are all benign and unrelated to your pain.

I am afraid that I am a general medical practitioner and not a radiologist. The best person to advise you on your radiological findings is the radiologist who took the films in the first place. If you have not been advised by the radiologist to have follow-up scans done, this would tend to further support what I'm saying here.
Thanks again and good health!