Pain on neck, blisters on that area, behind ear & head. Used volini, taking herpikind & applying herpearex ointment. Is it Herpes zoster & how long it takes to get cured?

Dermatologist
Question
Hell sir, i had pain on the side of my neck. i used volini cream for it. the next day i noticed some blisters on the pain area, behind the ear and also on my head. is it herpes zoster? i am on herpikind 400mg and herperax ointment . how long it will take to cure? what food i should take?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Dear,

Volini or for that matter any cream can cause an irritant contact dermatitis.

Herpes zoster as well as irritant contact dermatitis can present as blisters.

Now the catcher is that herpes lesions never cross the midline and the dermatitis lesions can.
In case there are lesions beyond the volini application, there is intense pain then the chances of herpes zoster are more and you should not wait before visiting a dermatologist as if not treated properly the pain with herpes might last for months.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Pain on neck, blisters on that area, behind ear & head. Used volini, taking herpikind & applying herpearex ointment. Is it Herpes zoster & how long it takes to get cured? 1 hour later
i have visited the docter . he has prescribed me herpikind 400mg, herperax ointment and zincovit. is the medications ok? how many days it will take for complete cure.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 19 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your follow up query.

The medication is fine. But I guess there is some problem with the dose. The ideal dose of acyclovir is 800 mg 5 times a day for a 60 kg patient.

Please check with your doctor as low dose will be inefficient in controlling symptoms of post herpetic neuralgia i.e. pain of herpes after the lesions settle down.

Usually blisters resolve in 2-3 weeks time post treatment.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Wish you good and speedy recovery

Dr.Rohit Batra