Pain on lowest part of back to hips and legs. History of back surgery. Suggest treatment

Rheumatologist
Question
I AM HAVING PAIN DOWN THE VERY LOWEST PART OF MY BACK INTO THE HIPS AND DOWN BOTH LEGS. IT MAKES IT HARD FOR ME TO WALK A LONG DISTANCE.. iT IS VERY PAINFUL WALKING AND AT NIGHT i HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING MY LEGS TO QUIET DOWN SO I CAN SLEEP. I HAVE HAD BACK SURGERY ALL THE WAY DOWN MY BACK.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem in my opinion it is a radicular pain in your legs . There must be some disc compression which is pressing on the emerging nerves from the spine thus leading to radiating pain through your legs . It is sciatica kind of thing .

For this you need to see an orthopaedician who specialises in spine or a neurosurgeon . Both of them will be able to handle this . A MRI spine will be probably necessary to locate the site and compression of nerves .

Till then you can manage with the pain killers that have been prescribed to you .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Pain on lowest part of back to hips and legs. History of back surgery. Suggest treatment 22 minutes later
Do you mean an orthopedic (spelling) doctor willl be able to help me. Or one that does surgery. And do you think I will have to do some sort of surgery? does my problem maybe require some type of surgery?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back.

Yes an orthopaedic doctor is the one you need to consult . All orthopaedic doctors are surgeons .

If there is significant nerve compression then surgery can be needed to relieve the compression but that can be clear only after the imaging like MRI will be done .

Dr. Shruti