Pain on leg mostly on heel. Diabetic & BP. How to get relief from pain & diabetic neuropathy?

Dear Doctor,

I am a Diabetic and BP since 18 years and now days I am having pain in my leg and especially more pain in my Heel portion and finding difficult to walk comfortably. Now I am using MCR sole shoes with silicone gel pad. But still I feel pain during and after walk.

Sir, as I understand, this is mainly due to diabetic neuropathy, but I wanted understand more about it sir and also is it possible to cure and what best can be done to walk painlessly sir.

Thanks and regards,

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 36 minutes later

Thanks for the query

From the description it looks like you are suffering from posterior heel pain in addition to your diabetic neuropathy. Common causes of posterior heel pain are plantar fascitis, calcaneal spur, Achilles tendonitis, Retrocalcaneal Bursitis and rarely stress fractures of the calcaneus. Neurological conditions like radiculopathy due to diabetes and lumbar spondylosis can cause similar pain in the lag and the heel.

Diagnosis of the cause of posterior heel pain can be difficult as it is not uncommon for these diagnoses to coexist with diabetic neuropathy. Most sufferers are people who are overweight, middle-aged and people who have feet that are pronated and not corrected.

So I personally request you to consult your GP for a good clinical examination to exclude radiculopathy and to confirm musculoskeletal causes of pain. X-ray will rule out arthritis and stress fractures. Continue to use your special footwear and if required ultrasound and anti-inflammatory medicines to fasten healing. If pain continues option of local steroid injections needs consideration.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist