Pain on left side of head. May I know the reason for this?

Rheumatologist
Question
I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING SHARP STABBING PAINS IN THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF MY HEAD, LOCATED ABOVE MY EAR, THE PAIN IS HITTING ME APPROX. EVERY TWO TO THREE MINUTES AND LASTS ONLY A FEW SECONDS BUT HAS NOW BEEN GOING ON FOR APPROX. FIVE HOURS? APERT FROM THIS FREQUENT PAIN EVERYTHING ELSE APPEARS NORMAL AND I AM IN GOOD HEALTH, I AM FEMALE AND 53 YEARS.
CAN YOU HELP? XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis cannot be given.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the history that you have provided I will like to tell you that what symptoms you have told are very non specific so a diagnosis cannot be pointed out but still we can discuss the options .

Hemicranial headache is mostly because of migraine . Second it could be cluster headache but you dont give any other symptoms related to these . I advise you to sees a neurologist and discuss this with him . You also need to note the pattern of headache in your diary and accompanying symptoms .

Till then you can take a paracetamol tablet for relief of headache in my opinion but only after due consultation with your treating physician.

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Pain on left side of head. May I know the reason for this? 5 minutes later
IF I KNEW I HAD TO WAIT UP TO 24HOURS FOR AN ANSWER I WOULD NOT OF DONE SO, I WOULD APPRICIATE A RETURN ANSWER PLEASE CANNOT AFFORD TO WAIT.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back .

Headache can be a sign of many diseases . A throbbing headache can even precede an impending brain haemorrhage . I am trying to explain you that the diagnosis is required for treating you because treatment will vary according to the situation .

Till then I will recommend you a paracetamol 650 mg which will bring relief to your headache in my opinion . If you are not relieved kindly see a doctor immediately.

Dr. Shruti