Pain on left side of body below belly button,blood in urine in 65 years old male

slight pain on left side of body below belly button....with blood in urine ....both are not constant...about once every two months for one to two days.
male, age 65 ,5' 9" 130 lbs ,no medical problems or medications
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later

First of all I need to emphasize that blood in the urine is not normal and we should consider what things could cause this symptom.

You describe pain just below the belly button. This is in the region where the bladder is located. An infection or irritation of the bladder lining could cause blood in the urine. In addition, kidney stones could trigger abdominal pain with blood in the urine as well. Kidney disorders may lead to bloody urine but the fact that you have pelvic area pain goes against this. The kidneys are located higher in the abdomen.

I would highly recommend that you followup on this with a physician who can examine you and perform a complete urinalysis with urine cytology which will evaluate for any abnormal cells in the urine. Depending on what that shows he or she may consider having you see a urologist who specializes in this kind of condition.

I hope you have found this information to be helpful. I am available for your followups.