Pain on left side of back and stomach. Suggest suitable way to get rid of pain

Sep 2013

Recently I suffer sometimes at night a pain on the left side of my back and in my stomach. I feel all I want to do is to be able to burp and it would clear. It lasts for awhile. I am 69 years old and I look after my self I eat healthy. Other than childhood illinesses which where chicken pox and measles when I was nine I had jaundice and hepatitis. It was a school outbreak.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Stomach Pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. If I were your treating doctor for this case of pain in stomach & back , I would come up with these possibilities, these includes. 1 The first possibilities is of peptic ulcer disease or Hiatus hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper G I endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about 4 inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control stomach acid one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them or eat chocolates or spicy or greasy foods. Take some antacid but if symptoms are severe you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors. 2 The next possibility is of kidney stone which may present as pain in back radiating on front side of abdomen. Diagnosis can be confirmed by ultrasound of both kidneys with ureter and urinary bladder. 3 As pain is radiating to the back also so may be pancreatitis. Diagnosis can be confirmed by evaluation of pancreatic enzyme, serum lipase, amylase. In my opinion consult a physician and get his opinion regarding peptic ulcer disease after above measures don't work. Hope this information will be be helpful for you. In case you have further question, I would be happy to answer them. Good luck. Dr. HET