Pain on both side of neck and ears. What could be causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I experience pressure / pain on both sides of my neck traveling to my ears What could cause this? It had been on going for many months
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 47 hours later
Brief Answer: You need a thorough evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX There are many conditions of the neck & ear that are associated with neck pain & ear ache. The causes of both ear and neck pain are often related because of their distance to each other, but their pain may also function separately from each other and be unrelated. Usually, ear pain is associated with an ear infection or can even be caused by a dental problem which leads to pain behind the ear that radiates down the neck. Common causes of neck pain include strain or improper sleeping positions, and often times this pain may be felt behind the ear creating the illusion of an earache. Due to the close proximity of the ear and neck, oftentimes the ear or the neck can influence one another when associated with pain. If the earache is due to infection or poor sleeping habits, then that pain might radiate down into the neck giving the illusion of neck strain. When ear and neck pain become intense and occur simultaneously, it is mainly due to one or the other becoming inflamed, strained or infected. One of the common condition of the Neck that can cause ear ache is CERVICOGENIC HEADACHE. In this condition, Pain radiates from the neck and the back of the skull causing a dull, aching sensation throughout the head, including behind the ears. Possible causes of cervicogenic headache include nerve compression between the vertebrae or spinal bones, excessive tenderness in the neck tissues due to trigger points--hyper-irritable nodules or knots within a tight band of muscle--and reduced neck range of motion or a stiff neck. One of the common condition of the Ear that can cause neck pain is MASTOIDITIS. mastoiditis is an infection of the mastoid bone of the skull, which is located directly behind the pinna or the outside portion of the ear. The most common cause of mastoiditis is a middle ear infection. A detailed clinical evaluation is necessary to pinpoint the exact cause of your problem. I suggest you to consult an Orthopedic surgeon and an Otorhinolaryngologist to rule out the respective causes for producing neck and ear pain. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards