Pain on back of neck, dizziness, tight neck muscles & hard to swallow. What?

I am getting pain in the back of my neck and am dizzy all the time. i feel weak and get hot sometimes.
Also the muscles in the front of my neck are really tight and making it a little hard to swallow. I have been to the doctor numerous times and to a physical therapist and this is not getting fixed. Any idea on what this could be?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding the dizziness and pain in the nape of the neck, I feel they are two different problems. One is early Cervical Spondylosis probably due to the trauma which is responsible for the neck stiffness and pain. This can be managed with medications like Baclofen which relax the muscles along with physiotherapy.

Regarding the dizziness, I feel probably it is a post-traumatic positional vertigo due to problems in your inner ear. This is not related to your neck problem. This can be managed with the help of vertigo specialist. Both medications and exercises work well for this kind of problems.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your specialist. Till then you can use medications like Cinnarizine after getting it prescribed from your doctor to reduce your dizziness.

I thank you again for the query and hope you find this reply to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Shiva Kumar R