Pain on back down leg, burning & stabbing pain in foot. Had back surgery as sciatic nerve compressed. Advise for cure?

Spine Surgeon
Question
hi i recently had back surgery my sciatic nerve was compressed ,a disc bulge since the operation i have still got alot of painin my back down my leg and burning and stabbing in my foot ,my back specialist says there is no more he can do for me so referred me to a pain management clinic.this injury happened at work i fell on the cement floor after tripping on a little boys security blanket 2yrs ago .i just want my life back,but i just know who to turn to for help
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Osteoporosis

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 2 hours later
hello..
thank you for sharing your problem with me.
what kind of surgery have you undergone? discectomy or spine fusion.
Please get back to me with the details of the surgery
regrads

Follow-up: Pain on back down leg, burning & stabbing pain in foot. Had back surgery as sciatic nerve compressed. Advise for cure? 43 hours later
my wife had a disectomy her ciatic nerve was compressed between 2 discs just after surgery it seemed like it was a success but about 2 months the pain came back,her surgeon sent her for an mri which showed inflamation where the nerve passes through the spine which has closed the hole up and may be putting pressure back on the nerve,he suggested to see if it would settle itself but it never so he suggested a nerve block,she had that 2 weeks ago without success so he told her there is nothing more he can do so he has referred her to a pain management clinic ,her 1st appointment is on the 30th of may.her GP is at his wits end on what to give her for pain as nothing seems to work so he has sent her to see a neourosurgion because he thinks it's nerve related,she don't sleep much,can't do anything with her family,she just wants her quality of life back and we don't know who to turn to for help. regards XXXXXXX

hello
now I understand your problem in detail.
Recurrence of pain after 2 months of surgery without much relief after nerve block is most likely due to recurrent disc bulge which requires resurgery.
A small group of patients do have these issues, so I think she would require a repeat discectomy if she does not improve with pain medicines
regards

Follow-up: Pain on back down leg, burning & stabbing pain in foot. Had back surgery as sciatic nerve compressed. Advise for cure? 4 hours later
that is the first bit of hope thankyou so much,what are the risks?,her specialist told her he really didn't want to operate because of the risk of causing more damage.are there any other options?she is taking durotram xr once daily 300mg,tramadol 50mg caps(sz)1 cap 3 times a day,and panadene forte 2 tabs 4 times a day when required,also valpam 1 tab 3 times a day when required.do you think this is required or is there a better combination that might work better if you think so i can suggest it to her gp.I am worried about her taking all these tablets as they may cause other problems.when she is lying the pain seems to ease but when she walks thats when it gets unbearable

thanks again regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 1 hour later
hello...
Repeat surgery within 2 months carries almost the same risk as the index surgery..so I don't think thats an excuse for not operating..
Well the drugs are OK..Usually the drugs wouldnot work in recurrent disc...surgery would.
all the very best
get well soon

Follow-up: Pain on back down leg, burning & stabbing pain in foot. Had back surgery as sciatic nerve compressed. Advise for cure? 19 hours later
thankyou will speak to her surgon tomorrow

regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 22 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you too and all the best.

You may ask me a query in future at this link WWW.WWWW.WW