Pain near waist, hurts to cough or laugh, or get up from sitting position. Taken Advil. What is this?

I am a 33 year old woman. I woke up three nights ago with a sharp pain on my right side. It is at my waist on the side. It felt like I twisted and pulled a muscle. I am overweight. It doesn't hurt when I sit, lay or stand. Only hurts when I cough, laugh, get up from a sitting position or walk too much. If I take Advil it minimizes the pain. What do you think this is? I have no unusual symptoms, no fever, normal appetite and normal bathroom breaks.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
From your description, it seems to be a minor muscle sprain. You can take advil round the clock after meals for pain relief. Doing a hot fomentation in the area followed by application of a local analgesic gel will also be helpful.
Most of the times such minor sprains do improve in 7-10 days. Please do not worry.
In case the pain is persistent or is aggravating then you will need to consult your primary physician for oral muscle relaxants.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain near waist, hurts to cough or laugh, or get up from sitting position. Taken Advil. What is this? 2 hours later
Thank you for responding so quickly. I tend to worry and over analyze everything when something feels wrong. My only other question about this is....some of my other muscles in my stomach and back are a little sore now, I figure since they are overcompensating for my hurt muscle. Does that sound normal? Like I said...I have no other symptoms other than the soreness.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your interpretation seems to be logical. Rest of the abdominal muscles will also feel slightly sore due to compensation. You need not worry. This will improve gradually as the muscle sprain improves.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.