Pain, nausea, vomiting, diagnosed as GERD and esophageal spasms. Cramps and smelly diarrhea. Related to current problems?

For the last few weeks, I have been having trouble with pain, nausea, vomiting. Had an upper endoscopy, dr. diagnosed GERD and esophogeal spasms. My dr. thinks it may be gallbladder related. Tonite, I had dirrhea that smelled like sulfur/chemicals. Strong lower abdominal cramps, that when I believed I was finished, within 10 minutes I'd have to go back. I had this type of thing happen years ago, and it basically went away. It only happened spuradically over the years. Would this be related to current problems, or is this the resurfacing of something else?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The painful diarrhoeal symptoms are too spaced to be considered as a single disease manifestation though bad Gastro esopheal reflux disease (GERD) and esophagitis can explain the epigastric pain, nausea and vomiting. Even a bowel inflammation or an infection can be associated with nausea and vomiting.

Please provide me with further information regarding the location of pain, relation with meals, nocturnal symptoms and the type of stools with the presence of mucus or blood.
How had been your apetite and weight over years ?

The aforementioned details will be helpful to answer your query better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Pain, nausea, vomiting, diagnosed as GERD and esophageal spasms. Cramps and smelly diarrhea. Related to current problems? 8 hours later
With the recent weeks, my symptoms tend to begin within an hour after lunch. The pain runs through my chest into my back between my shoulder blades. Feels like if I go to the bathroom, pass gas, etc. that it would help the pain. It does not. Second episode, the pain lasted much longer. Used the medicine from the first episode when I thought it was just my GERD, and did not have the vomiting.
Last nite, after dinner, I had lower abdominal cramps. They become strong until I actually go to the bathroom. It took several times of just sitting on the toilet before I actually went and went a significant amount. The first time had shape, but was very little in amount. I did not notice mucus. The color was not dark brown, but more of a "bright" (sounds stupid but the best way to describe) brown. Went about 3 more times and it stopped. Started again this morning with the cramps and going minute amounts. Noticed small amounts of blood when wiping. Finally, went large amount, and since then the cramping has stopped. Also noticed that this morning when I went, there was no smell like last night.
Hope not too much detail (unfortunately, detail is what I do for a living)
Follow-up: Pain, nausea, vomiting, diagnosed as GERD and esophageal spasms. Cramps and smelly diarrhea. Related to current problems? 11 minutes later
BTW: My weight is within range for my height (165 lbs @ 5'9"). I've gained probably 15 lbs. since this particular issue started multiple years ago. Partly due to quitting smoking.

I was under weight for years. (16 yrs ago I was 114 lbs @ 5'9") My appitite over the years has actually gotten better. Hence the 50 lb gain.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the clarification

Since the appetite has improved and you have actually gained weight, I don't thinks there are any serious illness. The widely seperated illnesses may just be two independent episodes.
The present illness appears like an intestinal colic followed by the loose stools. This could be a manifestation of a food poisoning only as you are already feeling better.

Pain in the chest going to back can occur with severe reflux disease
You can get a stool routine examinations and a serum CRP (Quantitative) to guide further management.
Meanwhile would suggest you to - take twice a day dose of proton pump inhibitors with a good prokinetics, some probiotics, Zinc containing multivitamin and abstain from milk and milk products for 2 weeks. Donot lie down for 2 hrs after a meal and get the head end of your bed elevated by around 10cms. Eat frequently but in small quantities