Pain medications without side effects, advised Limbrel. Any other options?

Hi, I am a 70 yo woman who has taken NSAIDS for many years. I recently had to stop taking them as my kidneys were affected. The kidneys are back to normal but I am looking for pain medications that won't damage them again.
The nephrologist suggested Limbrel to try but it looks like it's not covered by Medicare as it is considered a vitamin. Any other suggestions?
I have tried Nucynta and have oxycodone now, but I cannot function with these drugs making me drowsy.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, you can ask your doctor to see if he can change the dose of your prozac. In general prozac also can control the pain. Many medications from the class prozac belongs to do so. You can also ask your doctor to give you acetaminophen or paracetamol or similar medications from their class that control the pain but are metabolized by the liver. If your liver function is good, he can give you low dose of these medications regularly. On the other hand, weight loss can help to decrease the pain on the joints in many situations. I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Pain medications without side effects, advised Limbrel. Any other options? 2 days later
Thank you for your reply. I have never known any antidepressant to be prescribed, or even useful, for pain until I started seeing ads for Cymbalta. I have tried a higher dose of Prozac, but it made my depression worse.

Do you know anything about Limbrel, the drug? Do you think it would be worth trying?

I don't recall any discussion about me being overweight, thus your suggestion that weight loss is my best solution...

I am taking acetaminophen occasionally, but it really doesn't begin to ease the pain sufficiently.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 3 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Limbrel would be worth trying. It inhibits the enzymes which activate inflammatory substances. You mentioned that your kidney function got back to normal. It would be safe to try it. Best wishes.