Ask a Urologist   »  

Pain, itching in penis during retraction. What could be the cause?

I have notices that my foreskin is suddenly tight and am unable to retract it without a slight pain. I also experience itching due to this. What is the reason for this happening?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 18 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Pain and itching during retraction is related to lack of lubrication beneath the foreskin. There need not be a specific reason for the lack of lubrication. I would suggest use of lubricants like lignocaine jelly for a few days till it normalises. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Specialist-Psychosexual disorders
Follow-up: Pain, itching in penis during retraction. What could be the cause? 6 minutes later
I have been told by some that this might due to balanitis which is caused by high sugar in the blood. So I wanted to make sure that its not the same thing?
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 4 hours later
Balanitis or balanoposthitis is inflammation of glans characterised by redness,discharge in addition to itching and difficulty in retraction of prepuce as you had mentioned. Nevertheless, if simple lubricants do not help, a local examination of genitalia by a physician would clarify if it is balanitis. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar