Pain in wrist, cannot lift anything or bend it. Do I need to see a doctor?

Question
I have been having pretty bad pain in the pinky side of my right wrist for about 3 weeks. Can not lift anything, start car, open door, anything that involves turning my wrist. I can not bend it back or forward as far as my other wrist and I also cant turn my palm face up. I have no insurance and just need to know if I need to see a doctor
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 35 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Do you experience any pain in the palm ? do you noted any swelling, high local temperature ? because your symptoms indicate nerve compression syndrome the arthritis. If your pain, discomfort, limitation in movement are associated with local numbness, tingling, burning and radiate to palm, thumb, middle finger then most suggestive for carpal tunnel syndrome. In such case you should wear wrist splitting, local anti inflammatory creams, non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen . If these measures do not control symptoms , then you need consult the Doctor who will prescribe and will give an injection – mixture of an anesthetic + corticosteroid. All these measures will help.

I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Pain in wrist, cannot lift anything or bend it. Do I need to see a doctor? 20 minutes later
The pain doesn't go into my palm. It does however go into my pinky and ring finger and shoots up to my elbow.I have been taking motrin and have used ice and heat. I can't even eat with silverware because I ant get my wrist to go in that position.like I said it has been 3 weeks with no improvment, really need to know if I could be doin more harm than good by not seeing a doctor. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 10 hours later
Welcome back,
If after three weeks under motrin , ice packs there no improvement and pain level is the same , then yes, definitely you need to see a Doctor for definitely diagnosis and treatment.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail