Pain in upper stomach, sleeping a lot. Have pacemaker. Normal BP. What to do?

Hi my grannie has a pacemaker she is 92 yrs old. two days now she has been complaining of her upper stomach hurting through to the back, I called paremedics yesterday they did everything and all was normal BP 142/70,, HR 74 oxygen level 98...she got up this morning complaining of same issues also seem to be sleeping alot. Im stumped as what to do.????? We just had our Cardo apointment 31st July all was fine.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The pain in the upper abdomen through the back could be due to gastroesophageal reflux.
Since the cardiac causes have been ruled out, there is nothing to worry.
The other possible causes can be peptic ulcer disease, hiatus hernia (in this a part of the stomach goes above the diaphragm – the muscular partition of chest and abdomen), acute inflammation of the gall bladder due to gallstones (cholecystitis) or acute pancreatitis.
You can try the following medications to reduce her symptoms.
1. Antacids (Tums, mylanta) can be taken to relieve the acidity.
2. Proton pump inhibitors such as pantop can be continued for few weeks.
3. Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve indigestion.
In case these are not helpful then further investigations like ultrasound scan of abdomen is suggested after an evaluation from a physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.