Pain in upper-right chest, belching does not help. What can?

While getting dressed this morning I had a sharp pain in the upper right side of my chest. While it lessened after I belched several times, I've had lesser pain on and off all day, which radiates from the right side of my chest to my mid back. Belching does seem to relieve the pressure, but the paid doesn't go away. Any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 26 minutes later

I believe that your belching and the pain may be related to gall bladder disease.That would be the first option that i would like to rule out.
A simple ultrasound of the abdomen will help in ruling out that diagnosis.
The second option could be gastric related due to excessive gas under pressure that may be causing the pain and belching.This is basically not harmful and can easily be treated by antacids and antiflatulents etc.
Gall bladder disease most commonly occur is middle age,and due to stones.An ultrasound is necessary to rule out stones.Depending on number and size of stones,if gall bladder disease is proven,treatment may be medical or surgical.
You need to cut down on oily,fatty spicy food.
Low fat diet is the key.
Keep your bowels clear.
I would suggest that you see a doctor and get an ultrasound first and then decide what happens next upon the outcome.

Follow-up: Pain in upper-right chest, belching does not help. What can? 1 hour later
Sorry, I haven't yet completed my health profile on this website. I have my ball bladder removed in 1992. I will however try the antacids and watch my diet. I have been drinking excessive amounts of coffee, so I'll try pushing more water. In the meantime, you don't feel it would be signs of a heart attack?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Digestive problems are more common after Cholecystectomy(removal of Gall Bladder). Caffeine is one of the major cause of irritation of stomach lining and produces acidity. It would be better to start consuming lots of fluids like water and fruit juices along with low fat diet. Avoiding Coffee, tea, alcohol and smoking would also be beneficial.

About the heart attack, its unlikely because the pain usually occurs on the left side but would be better to see a physician and get a Electrocardiogram done.
In some cases of Heart attack along with pain, breathlessness, sweating, low BP, high pulse are also seen.

At present however, i would recommend a diet change and antacids before meals. If there is still no reprieve then you need to get examined and evaluated by a Cardiologist.

Hope this answers your query.