Pain in upper quadrant. Ultrasound showed small kidney but functioning well. What should I do?

I had an ultrasound done on the upper right and left quandrum(?) because of tenderness and pain if press on. The ultrasound showed that my kidneys were small but functioning well. I was told during the ultrasound that it was difficult to see my organs because my intestines was in the way. I don't know what was meant by that because the tech did not go in detail. I'm really not sure what my next step should be.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The loaded and distended bowel loops due to gas and a recent meal or constipation often hinder the view of the organs like Kidneys which are placed behind the peritoneum.
If both the kidneys are small in size but have a normal echotexture and a normal function then there is nothing to worry. This is just a normal variation and does not need any treatment.
The pain in the upper abdomen is likely to be due to gastritis or indigestion and gas or an intestinal colic. You can consult a physician for a proper examination and required treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. RakhiTayal.