Pain in upper chest. Radiating through the back and armpit. Do not have gall bladder. Why does it hurt?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a pain in my right upper chest area. It radiates thru to the back and under my armpit. Hurts to exhale and move arm. I have no gall bladder. Just this pain that takes my breath away at times.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa and is commonly found in diabetics.
It may cause local swelling and tenderness in the front of the shoulder and initially it presents as minor pain but gradually it causes severe pain and loss of motion.

You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique (kept as last resort).

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.