Pain in upper calf while walking. Having factor V and never experienced a clot. Suggest the cure?

how can I tell the different between a calf/leg muscle strain versus a blood clot in the calf/leg? I only have one symptom which is pain in the upper calf when I flex my leg and sometimes while walking. I am concerned because I have factor V but never experienced a clot before.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
clot causes pain, swelling,redness

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

A clot in the veins of the legs (deep vein thrombosis or DVT) would be associated with following symptoms- the pain would usually be persistent, (2) swelling of the leg would occur due to inflammation and the build up of blood
(3)increased redness and warmth of the leg involved.

In most cases the pain should not vary with position such as flexing the limb . The fact that the pain is worsened with particular movement makes it more likely to be a muscular pain however symptoms may vary from one person to the next.
It is also less likely if there are no additional symptoms.

The fact that you have factor v means that you are at greater risk of developing DVT and the medical rule is that this has to be ruled out first before assuming that it is just a muscular strain.
This is because there is greater risk associated the DVT.

Your doctor would want to ensure that it is not a DVT before initiating any other treatment.
This would be done based on examination findings and possible investigations such as a doppler ultrasound of the lower limb.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: Pain in upper calf while walking. Having factor V and never experienced a clot. Suggest the cure? 9 minutes later
thank you. Can D-Dimer be used instead of the ultrasound or should both be used together?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can normally rule out a clot

Detailed Answer:

D dimer is not usually done alone but usually along with another investigation.This is because it is mainly useful to rule out the condition.
If it is negative then it is likely that a clot is not present.If negative it rules out a clot in over 95% of persons.

A positive result is not as useful because it can occur under different settings.This is the reason that additional tests may be used with it.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions