Pain in upper buttocks, coccyx while standing up, coughing. chronic condition, getting worse. Pain management ?

I have a severe pain in my upper butock and coccyx when sitting and attempting to stand from a sitting position. Also, while sitting if I cough the pain in the coccyyx is extremely painful. It's been about two months now, but definately worsening. I'm a 41yr old female and do not recall any injury
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand you are concerned with severe pain in the coccyx region.

Considering your written history, the pain which increases on coughing, and on movement - it would need a lot of investigations like X-rays, CT scan depending on a few clinical tests. I advise you to get reviewed for this.

In your age group, with a background of thyroid hyperactivity and antihypertensive medications, and that it is worsening - I get the feeling that you might have a certain degree of bone and joint wear.

Nothing to worry much, but a specialist (Orthopedician) review will do good for you. Along with helping you with the right analgesics and other medications required.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.