Pain in upper abdomen, excess saliva in mouth. What is it?

General Surgeon
When I have gone for about 4+ hours without food I start to feel a niggle in my upper abdomen, then slowly this turns into a pain that is constant and very severe. This can last for hours and the only way to get rid of it is to lie very flat on my stomach until it subsides. This seems to happen mostly at night time and often can be brought on by a single alcoholic drink when i havent eaten for hours. I sometimes get the feeling it might come on before hand as I have excess saliva in my mouth. The pain is very sharp and once it comes on i find it difficult to concentrate on aything other than the pain or even eat. It is not realted to a feeling of constipation or anything like that.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such pain usually appears with peptic ulcers or stomach inflammation. Especially if your pain is located in the upper middle abdomen, chest burning appears or nausea is present.
If the pain seems to radiate to the back, gallstones are also possible.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests should be done. If this tests will be negative, upper GI endoscopy should be performed. During this test Helicobacter Pylori infection will be also checked and if present, should be treated with antibiotics.
In a meanwhile you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee, chocolate and alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.