Pain in tricep, burning with certain movement of arm, sensitive arm

Orthopaedic Surgeon
pain in right tricep I having pain in my right tricep. it is not consistent . only comes in with this quick sharp pain/ burning with certain movements of the right arm. it started after a workout at the gym involving ylmy triceps and chest while leaving I threw my gym bag over my shoulder. it was in my right hand behind my back and pull down on my tricep and that was the first instance of the pain it it's not too close to the joint maybe about 30 percent of the way to the shoulder from my elbo
I worked out again since then and it feltfin durning the workout but seemed much more sensitive the next day
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
It seems that you have suffered a sprain of the triceps muscles during the workout. Such minor sprains usually take 7-10 days to resolve.

1. Give enough rest to your arm muscle. Avoid workouts and lifting weights with the arm till acute pain subsides completely.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help. You can consult your orthopedician for prescriptions.
4. Hot compresses to your arm will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
This should slowly subside with hot fomentation and proper relaxation.

In case, It does not subside on its own or it is associated with severe pain, and swelling around the area, it could indicate a tear of one of the muscle fibres.

In that case, you might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order a MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain in tricep, burning with certain movement of arm, sensitive arm 2 hours later
Ok. thank you. Glad to.hear Its not a Tendon
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If you have full range of movement around the shoulder specially the overhead movements then tendon injury is not likely.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.