Pain in throat and feels like a lesion inside. What could it be?

My 16 yr old periodically complains of pain in her throat. Does not feel like a typical sore throat, feels like there is a lesion inside or other times it feels like something is stuck in there. Normal sore throat therapies do not help. No other symptoms accompany the pain. Pain is about half way down her neck on the left side. Pain is significant. I can detect no swelling from the outside. Doctor saw no irritation in tonsils. Pain lasts 4 - 5 days then goes away for long periods of time. I assume it is a lymph gland or something. Waiting in appointment with ENT.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be symptoms of GERD

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your daughter has been going through. I understand it must have been difficult as all possible treatment have not proven to be very helpful up to this point.

Fro the description of these symptoms, the suspicion of gastro-esophageal reflux disease. This is a disease where food from the stomach moves up into the esophagus fro time to time. The acid causes corrosive lesions that can cause pain and also become painful when swallowing. Mostly the lower end of the esophagus is involved. Diagnosis of this is often clinically suspected and managed with ompreazole/lansoprazole alongside life style modifications(avoiding fatty meals, chocolates, going to bed soon after eating, lying flat on the bed, bending forward after meals. tobacco, alcohol, etc).

If these fail, the she would be investigated with an upper endoscopy of the digestive system, PH monitoring to confirm the diagnosis and evaluate the extend of the damage.

I am happy to hear you have already taken an appointment with an ENT specialist. I am pretty convinced he would give you more information on this and findings to support or look for any other possible cause.

I wish her well. Thank you for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications.
Dr. Ditah, MD