Pain in throat after sneezing. Having allergy with stuffy nose and GERD. What could it be?

ENT Specialist
After I sneeze I get a brief pain in my throat for about 2-3 seconds. No other symptoms. I do have allergies accompanied with stuffy nose from time to time. I also have GERD. I have not experienced an trauma. I am a non-smoker and other I am in good health. What could it be?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reflux esophagitis/pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have gone through your query, it suggests that pain in throat during the sneeze is due to the effect of the GERD (Reflux esophagitis/pharyngitis).

Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease causes the erosion of the mucosa it causes the irritation of the nerve in the throat which increases during the sneeze because of movement of the throat muscle.
Sinusitis also responsible for the pharyngitis.

GERD sometimes causes injury of the esophagus i.e.(Less severe to more severe form)
Reflux esophagitis/pharyngitis
Esophageal strictures
Barrett's esophagus
Esophageal adenocarcinoma

and as in your case possibility of reflux esophagitis/ pharyngitis But to exclude the other disease and for clear cut diagnosis, your may go for esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (EGD)/ laryngoscopy.

If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Pain in throat after sneezing. Having allergy with stuffy nose and GERD. What could it be? 7 minutes later
thank you.What is a good treatment for this condition?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
Thank you for your follow up query

In initial treatment of GERD these three types of drug mainly used

Antacids that neutralize stomach acid
Medications to reduce acid production-> H-2-receptor blockers
Medications that block acid production and heal the esophagus-->Proton pump

In our patient I prefer Gel Ulgel A and cap Rabeprazole and domperidone combination but for you I personally advised to consult the your doctor for better diagnosis and management.

Wish you good health