Pain in thigh, from groin to top of thigh. No pain in knee of same leg. Any ideas?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi my left thigh is killing me the pain only comes at night. I cant sleep at least 2 to 3 nights a week. It goes from the groin to the top of the thigh. I originally thought this was because of an old sports injury but now not so sure.There is no pain in the knee just thigh any ideas?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Most likely your symptoms are caused by back bone problems. The area you have mentioned is nerved by nerves that comes from spinal cord between lumbar 1 to lumbar 3 vertebrae. If there is a compression from any structure of the spine (like spinal disc herniation) you may suffer from such symptoms. It comes at the night because the tissue after whole day of activity becomes swelled. Backbone MRI is the only examination that can visualize it and it is advisable in such cases.

Other reasons of such pain can be left urinary tract stones (but this one is associated with back pain and burning when urinating), sciatic nerve compression by pelvis muscles (Piriformis syndrome for example, this one is associated with buttocks pain or tingling and the pain can radiate to the foot), venous problem (it is associated with whole leg swelling.

But the spinal problem seems to be more likely the reason of your sufferings.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Pain in thigh, from groin to top of thigh. No pain in knee of same leg. Any ideas? 17 minutes later
I take 2x tramadol 50mg and 2x Flexeril 10mg along with 2x tylenol and i still cant get any relief. Any suggestions on pain relief so i can sleep through the night?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

None of the medicines you are taking has an anti-inflammatory effect. I suggest you to use Diclofenac (Zipsor for example) 100 mg 1x and Tetrazepam (Clinoxan) 25 mg 1x before sleeping. This medicines are probably on prescription so you should see your doctor for prescription.