Pain in thigh. Had undergone knee miniscus surgery. Could it be a clot?

General Surgeon
I had left knee miniscus surgery 2 weeks ago and Dr said i am doing great. However, i have a dull ache in my thigh that fees like a pulled muscle. Dr said from the vice during surgery and should let up. i am concerned is it that or could it be a clot???
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your concern is correct. Every surgery (especially leg surgery) can cause veins thrombosis due to local trauma (caused by surgery) which always impedes blood flow. Moreover, every immobilization affects blood flow as well and can cause veins thrombosis. That is why, after most of surgeries, antithrombotic medicines (Heparin) should be prescribed.
If it just a muscular pain, that is a great news for you. But before such diagnosis, veins thrombosis should be ruled out.
Typical vein thrombosis symptoms are: hard and tender calf muscle, thigh muscle (if thrombosis is high enough), pain while walking. The pain should aggravate when flexing down your foot with knee fully extended (Homans sign). During this test, the pain should radiate from the foot to the knee or thigh. However lack of this sign, does not rule it out.
The best way to diagnose it is to have blood work, CRP and D-dimers checked. If D-dimers level will be elevated, veins Doppler ultrasound should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Pain in thigh. Had undergone knee miniscus surgery. Could it be a clot? 8 minutes later
When i saw my dr yesterday, i did bring it up and he looked and said just the normal pain from the vice. Would the vice make it sore post op for 10 days
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Yes, it can be caused by the vice during the surgery. The healing process and tissues repairing, scar creation can take even 3 months. So 10 days is not a long time after the surgery. However if this is a new pain, which were not preset after the surgery, it is suspicious.
I assume that the doctor who have seen your leg were able to examine it, so this is his advantage. But you never know if this is thrombosis or not. And the blood tests are simple way to be sure. So it seems worth to try.

Hope this will help.