Pain in the throat while swallowing. Taking Amoxicillin and steroids. Suggestions?

Age: 22,
Height 6'0
Wieight: 195
Problems: I' am having trouble swallowing whole foods and my throat constantly hurts. I try to eat but, i feel like im choking evertime i swallowing so i havent ate in two days. Last night i went to the ER, and they did a strep test which was negative, the doctor said it might be an infection so i was givin Amoxicillin and a steroid pack. Also, i feel nervous all the time like im dying. What is wrong with me?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your query.

Difficulty in swallowing or dysphagia can be caused by a whole variety of things, some trivial, some more serious. The swallowing reflex is complicated and involves many neurological pathways. And then there are concerns about the physical condition of you esophagus.

You need to to have this properly checked out now. You need to get some real answers.

Please consult an ENT specialist and get yourself examined completely so that a reason can be found for this.

Please get back to me if you have any more queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Pain in the throat while swallowing. Taking Amoxicillin and steroids. Suggestions? 28 minutes later
I forgot to mention, i have seen an ENT, he said there was nothing wrong. They did a swallow test, with the three differenty types of food and what not, and also put a camera down my throat and everything was fine. Could anxiety be causing this? Also it happens more often than not with meat. If that makes a diffeerence.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 10 hours later
It is very good news that the ENT specialist thought that there was nothing wrong and even better news that your gastroscopy was normal.

You still need a diagnosis. Yes, anxiety could be a cause but I would not place it high on the list. A way to test this would be to take a sedative to see if your dysphagia lessened. But I would not push this line of enquiry too far.

Chest x-ray, MRI scan and a consultation with a neurologist are other thoughts. Good luck.