Pain in the throat while lying down. Causes?

ENT Specialist
When I lay down my throat hurts really bad, after im up for 20-30 minuates i feel fine.
I dont really have a cold atleast my sinuses are clear
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 18 minutes later

There are many causes for this condition like simple pharyngitis, granular pharyngitis, enlarged uvula etc.

In your case the most probable cause could be granular pharyngitis, because during lying down position, the pharyngeal musculature gets relaxed causing irritation of posterior pharyngeal wall.

Dont worry for this condition, it is a benign and treatable entity, you will have to take the following precautions---

1- Avoid cold diet.

2- Take plenty of fluids to maintain hydration.

3- Warm saline gargles.

4- Take a vitamin and mineral supplement daily.

ALL FOR NEXT 7 DAYS, and if still the condition persists, then consult a ENT surgeon, for endoscopic examination and the doctor may add a course of antibiotics.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please write back if you have additional concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.